Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Optimism

First let me begin by wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!  Next I figure it's time to catch y'all up on what my last week has been like.

On Friday the 21st my mom, sister and I packed our bags and headed to Boise for a family Christmas with my cousin and his family.  The trip really wasn't that bad, which suprised me since it was only two days after surgery.  I did have quite a bit of pain around my insicions and had to get out and walk while clutching a pillow to my belly at every stop.  I swear one of the ladies at one of the gas stations was prepared to jump me at any second, convinced that I was going to steal some candy or something.  I guess I can't blame her too much since I was walking up and down the isles slowly with a big ol' pillow in front of my stomach; looks kinda suspicious huh? :D  When I wasn't out walking I actually slept fairly comfortably in the front seat that was slightly leaned back. 

We arrived in Boise and my cousins kids were so excited to see me but so cute because they'd been told about my surgery on my tummy and one of them thought I'd had a baby! :D  And he's been so concerned about when I'll be able to eat "real" food again; so adorable.  I just love those kids! 

Because of the gas that's been dissapating through my body, I get quite a bit of grugling in my tummy and I tend to get the gurgling confused with hunger pangs.  I had a jello cup and within a few minutes was in so much pain I could barely stand up straight let alone walk.  Thank goodness for hydrocodone! :D 

So I learned my lesson and have been very careful not to overdo it on the broth and jello, although I still can never quite telll if I'm satisfied or not.  More often than not I stop too soon and end up hungry within the hour and have to head back for some more jello. :D

Oddly this clear liquid diet has not been as bad as I'd been led to believe it would be.  I mean yes I can't wait to eat some mashed potataoes or even eggs, but I have not had any overwhelming desires to eat all the food that has been made in my cousin's house over the last few days.  To give you an idea of what I'm talking about my cousins wife has made bags of cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate dipped marbles, chocolate covered ritz cracker peanut butter sandwhiches.  My mom has made pineapple carrot cake, milky way cake, my great grandma's rolls (my favorit rolls), and spritz cookies (which we have every christmas).  They've had chinese food delivered (I love fried rice and orange chicken), we went to texas road house for dinner one night (need I say more?) and for Christmas breakfast an egg, hashbrown, cheese, and sausage caserole, all of my favorite breakfast foods in one bubbly, delicious concoction.

Yet throughout all this food overload I remained content with my chicken broth and jello.  Not that there weren't time I desperately wished I could eat some of those foods, but it wasn't like it has been in the past where the desire to eat overwhelmes my common sense and every other sense and turns me into a zombie moaning "food... must eat food." :D 

I think one thing that has made it so much easier on me is that I weigh myself everyday and see the results.  Since surgery last Wednesday I've dropped almost 10 lbs.  I know you shouldn't weigh yourself everyday, but for now it helps me get through these tough days knowing that even though I can't eat all the foods around me, the decision I've made is paying of and I am seeing results and it makes me feel hopeful about my future with my band and excited to see how well I'm going to do!

Stay safe, stay happy, stay hopeful
This is pleased and optomistic signing off 


No comments:

Post a Comment